6.7.09

Which border fabric, that's the question

Hexagons are all stitched up, seams pressed open. Phew! This was a little more tedious than I anticipated. Lots of seams to match up and pin. I took the easy way out and used half hexes on the top and bottom edges and left the sides ragged. I will trim those shortly. Quilt measures roughly 52 x 65. A little on the small side. I decided to add borders to bring it up to a useful size.

After auditioning every scrap of fabric from my stash, NOTHING was quite right, so a trip to the fabric store was in order. Can you guess what I came up with?

I decided on the red polka dot for borders, trimmed with a thin white inner border and the top fabric for the backing (the two bottom "reject" fabrics are from my stash). I'm not totally sold on this combo, but want to finish up this project so I start back up on my snowball quilt that I dropped to particpate in Comfortstitching's Half Hexagon Quilt-a-long.

I have this wild idea that I'm going to hand quilt this baby with pearl cotton thread a la Material Obsession (a fantastic quilting book, btw). I've always admired this project from The Workroom on flickr. I haven't hand quilted in several years and I've actually been yearning to do some handiwork. We'll see ...

2 comments:

Claudia said...

"testing"

Anonymous said...

Claudia it is looking great, it will look a dream with the hand quilting!
Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog yesterday, I hope to be back and lively soon";D
x