17.2.10

Snowball quilt out of mothballs and the first signs of Spring

This weekend I was inspired to pick up an abandoned WIP quilt top. I finished the top and had purchased the backing fabric and batting a couple of months ago.

I quilted a fairly large scale swirly pattern over the surface of the quilt.

swirlies

I'm using a variegated cotton thread by Gutermann's from Joann's. I had a terrible time adjusting my machine's tension with this thread. I used a polyester (*gasp!*) Coats & Clark with my large last quilt and it quilted like a dream.

I left the borders unquilted until I can settle on a design. I may just quilt more swirls or perhaps an orange peel design? I started to do some swirls and then ran out of thread... I guess a sign that perhaps I should let it sit for a few days before I make a final decision.

progress on quilting; snow ball quilt

Moving from snowballs to flowers, the first signs of Spring have emerged in the Bay Area.

Walnut Creek, CA
Fruit tree at parent's house in Walnut Creek on February 15

4 comments:

wishes, true and kind said...

Gorgeous quilt! We're just seeing some signs of Spring around here, too. Crocuses, daffodils, and a lovely pink rhododendron.

Marianne Penner said...

Beautiful quilt. Thank you for sharing the blossoms. We'll be waiting for a while yet to see those.

Dee said...

Sew jealous of the beautiful pink blooms and your quilt is just lovely! I think the colors are so vibrant and alive!

Great job on finishing up a WIP!

Rebekah said...

gorgeous quilting! I love all of the colors in your snowball quilt.

My friend who is new to sewing and only familiar with Joanns, walked into a quilt store for thread. When they asked her what brand she normally uses, she said "Coats and Clark" and she thought the store lady was going to have a heart attack...I personally have never had a problem with it, but I do mainly use guterman