28.6.10

Cutting Coffins


My daughter says these look like coffins.  They're pinwheels, actually.


Mock-up on a piece of batting


Green pinwheel blocks will alternate with white ones.
I'm not sure if I should be starting something with such tedious piecing (sewing between marked dots), but I'm finding it freeing to cut fabric with my good old scissors using a template.  I even moved my sewing machine off my working table to give myself more room to work.  This is something I can work mindlessly  on in spurts without having to figure out where I am in the project.  At least at this stage.  I'm trying to use up leftover fabrics scraps and stash fabrics as well.

By the way, lime green is my daughter's favorite color and she's firmly rejected pink as being "too girly".  I can't say I'm a big fan of lime green, and I'm sure I bought the green solid fabric featured above with her in mind.  This weekend, I worked on painting her new room which formerly was the breakfast room.

The before:

                                   

After stripping off the wallpaper, we discovered pencil drawings by the landlord when he was teenager in the mid-50's.

"After"

After first coat of paint - Honeydew by Behr.


5 comments:

Lesly said...

I can see why she calls them coffins! They don't look a bit morbid once you have them pieced together, though! The colours look great together. That's going to be a gorgeous quilt for that room, and how cool is it to find those drawings under the wallpaper.

Lisa A said...

I look forward to seeing more of this quilt.

Dee said...

wow! oh wow! this is amazing! love the colors and the pattern! where did it come from? the new paint is just awesome! i'm thinking of doing our front hall that color (hubby will probably go into shock!), but I love lime green!

Rebekah said...

Those blocks are so cute (but very time consuming). I love the lime green. Your daughter's new room color looks great!

Retrogirl said...

I laughed so hard about the coffins reference! Monkey thinks WOW looks like toilet paper!! I swear I'll never look at WOW the same ever again....or coffins, either. LOL!!