13.6.11

Border Maple Leaf WIP

My wonderful friend, Irv, was visiting yesterday and admiring my Farmer's Wife blocks I had taped to my bedroom wall.  He thought (to his untrained quilters' eyes) they looked "Japanesey" which got me thinking ...

Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt progress shot

I remembered starting a maple leaf quilt last year that I thought suited my friend's tastes perfectly.  After find the blocks in a box, I decided to sew them together to make a wall hanging.  The pattern is from www.quilterscache and is called Border Maple Leaf.  The site suggested sashing with lots of tiny fabric squares, but once I had a few of these sewn together, I hated it.  Thought it was too busy.  This is what I came up with instead:


Border Maple Leaf
22" square

Boy oh boy, is it difficult to photograph a black quilt.  The contrast is wild.  I chose some random bits for the the sashing squares.  I could border the quilt, but I'm leaning towards leaving it "as is".

I'm having fun piecing the back in a creative way ... check back soon to see what I come up with.

No comments: