23.1.12

Farmer's Wife - catch-up

The QAL is in hiatus until the end of this month, beginning of February, at which point we should be at week 28 - 56 blocks in total.  Well, I'm not quite there, but so far this month, I've managed to put this little collection together.


It should seem obvious, but every time I work on these petite 6" blocks, I'm always amazed at the amount of time suck involved in the creation of each block.  However slow going, there is something rewarding with figuring out how to piece some fairly intricate pieces.  I actually went back to paper piecing for the last couple of blocks, #42 Fruit Basket and #43 Garden Path.  The templates were really odd in between sizes and I wanted the accuracy of PP.

Here's the rundown:



The Y seam gave me a bit of trouble that I think can be smoothed out with quilting.


I really love the combo of fabrics on this one but the perfectionist in me hates the fact I didn't notice and correct the missed point on the dark pinwheel.



It's fun experimenting with different techniques on these blocks.  I pressed my seams open to reduce bulk but the trade off is that it makes it much harder to match seams.







More "Y" seams but I think it came out okay.

*****

More Farmer's Wife inspiration can be find by checking out the QAL group on flickr.

3 comments:

Quilting By Celia said...

They look great. I must get back to do mine...

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I hate Y seams. Your blocks look great!

Dee said...

"Y" seams get easier the more you practice them! I'm loving what you're learning and the beautiful blocks you're making! Wonderful progress!