5.1.13

'Bye 2012, Bring on 2013

Looking back at 2012, it wasn't a hugely productive year in quilts for me.  Most of the year was spent piecing my Farmer's Wife Quilt.  I guess one could say this was a good year for perseverance more than anything.  Here is the completed top in all it's glory:



Now all I need to do is win the lottery so I can afford to by about 9-10 yards of backing fabric!

So sorry it's been so quiet on my blog as of yet.  I'm always completely overwhelmed with the onset of the holidays.  It's a very busy period at work as well in addition to the usual holiday stuff.  I took 2 weeks off work to coincide with the kids' school break and once we were over the Christmas "hump", I've had a wonderful time relaxing and doing not a lot of anything (i.e., catching up on Downton Abbey and Breaking Bad).  I've also spent some time sewing.  I finished an old WIP that started off as a Flickr sewing bee.


I quilted with an all over meander in the background, an orange peel design and pebbles quilting on the stars and a natural open feather pattern in the borders.


I'm not sure why this photo looks so blurry, but you can see the original image on flickr.  I had fun experimenting with different free motion stitches.  I used Superior Threads Brights for the green border and a polyester embroidery thread for the rest of the quilt.



This is what happens when I go fabric shopping with my daughter.  She HAD to have the mustache print fabric and I suggested we make a case for the ipad.  The tutorial is from One Shabby Chick.  It's an easy project and came together quickly.




Wishing all of my readers a happy and healthy New Year!  Happy sewing!!!

3 comments:

Heidi Grohs said...

Just spotted your post on the quilting blog site...your Farmer's is BEAUTIFUL! I just bought my fabric this past year to take mine on!

Dee said...

Claudia,this is so beautiful and truly a labor of love! And worth every seam!

Your bright happy star quilt makes me smile.

Happy 2013!

Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) said...

I don't know **HOW** I missed this post about your completed FW top: it is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations! I still need to baste and quilt mine (can hardly believe it has been sitting in a drawer for nearly 6 months)...it's next on the list :) xx